Tuesday 16 April 2013

Run away from life and this time don't regret it

I went on a run today a really long one that turned into an vivid scene. I started running, mouthing the words of the song playing on my ipod. The sky opened up into infinity above me, spots of white on a indigo sky pushed out till they reached the setting golden sun, simmering in clouds of marigold cast on the western horizon, and toward it I ran. I reached the end of the road in triumph, the cross roads was lit like a little city, street lamps, neon signs, cars whizzing by as the sky turned from dusk to dark. It smelled oddly of cotton candy, and a street fair than a cool spring night, as though I had lurched forward in time to a summer night ready to burst into color and excitement. I finally turned to run back, I was cut short by pain searing up my side. Breathing came hard accompanied by bursts of pain, but I didn't want to stop, so I kept walking, on into the dark unlit corners of the town. Past forests filled with stories of rape and odd bits of things forgotten, dark tunnels of trees and occasional blaring headlights. Sounds began to creep through the moments of silence in the music, frogs singing, and birds calling good night. Bats hovered above me and people stopped passing me by. The smell turned from a pleasant summer night to a cool camp midnight after a sticky hot day, the pungent smell of run-off and mud filled my lungs. I wanted to do that forever. Run until you can't run anymore, then walk until you can't walk anymore then go back to the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment