Thursday 18 April 2013

This love is just an inside joke

I slowly made my way across the street. The side from which I departed was lit in the usual manner of orange street lights shining in the midnight puddles under a black sky. On the other side lay a supernatural world. The sky blossomed into a white and orange mix of clouds. The road was deserted, leaving a dark street, fading into eternal darkness. No lights were on, no windows shone of warmth, only the last street lamp shone as a marker. It looked so alone at the start of the street, reminding me of Narnia, or the Neitherlands. Observing my shadow in on the glistening pavement I wondered if I could just walk off...to Fillory...Ah if only it could be so.

"Shhhh!" I whispered pressing my hand up to my face trying to suppress my own amusement as we peered around the corner. We couldn't see much, just the plain iron staircase spiralling up to where the action was taking place.
"TELL ME! I beg you!" "I don't know!" "Please! I'll do ANYTHING." "I don't know, anything!" It went on for a while, back and forth like a pendulum. The left over souls waiting for their parents began to cluster around, hanging on to every word that made it's way down to us.
"Hey let's go to the theatre, maybe we'll see something!" He said, and I followed, my hand still pressed over my smiling face.
The door creaked open, cautiously we stuck our heads through. Coast is clear. Huddling down we leaned forward trying to catch a glimpse of the excitement. The two heads moved closer.
"Oh my god, are the kissing?!" His voice held a note of excitement and slight disbelief.
"No....I think they really are! Shit!" I beamed unable to keep in my excitement. "Shit! They're kissing again?!"
We ran out laughing as though it was the best joke ever. Moments later our crowd broke the intimacy of the moment, laughter spilling from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment