Wednesday 19 December 2012

Piano concert and a journey into the ancient past where magic thrives and unicorns still live, far away from this place where it doesn't snow

It was strange to sit in the audience not anticipating the moment when you have to standing in front of all those people. It was my first time at the piano recital not playing. I was just there. Listening. Stranger still was the setting. I'd always hated that church. It's false and Americanised. It has no ties to ancient Christian religion (anything european premodern times, like 2000 BC). It's this wooden structure that's made to look "homey" and "comforting" and god knows what else. Adorned with wreathes, fake Christmas trees and boring wooden furnishing. It's almost like someone was trying to be modern but only succeeded in making a fool of himself in front of historically cultured people, meaning every one else but me appreciates this church for it's appearance.
Steven was there. Otherwise I really would have tried my hardest not to come. Actually I was surprised to see him, he left school with a fever. I waited about an hour for his turn. It was strange to be watching someone so closely in such an intimate and unbecoming setting. He looked so big and mature next to that piano, like there was a purpose to his playing. Like he wasn't playing for the teacher and because people wanted him to, but because he had a concrete and truly meaningful reason to be up there. Well whatever it was his second piece conveyed it perfectly, Greensleeves. To begin, it's such a beautiful piece. I grew up with it as the sound track to a CD about unicorns and adventures of medieval times. Every time I hear it, it's like I'm back in my dad's old car listening to the CD. I sat there taking in the music, every part of it, the mistakes the feeling. Closing my eyes I could see it. The mossy green grass, damp forest floor, the tree's clad in a mystical green spinning all around me. Surrounded by ancient magic of old times. I could smell the airy forest scent. Pulling up, like in a motion picture I could see myself, a girl dressed in layered off white gown (the color it wasn't white, but rather a faint shade of blue or purple, perhaps both), brown hair lying against my back as I turn, looking...
I wished I could just listen to it forever.
Well the concert ended after another piece played by Steven. It really was worth it. What seemed like hours of taking pictures finally ended. We bid farewell and I congratulated him, leaving only too soon to see his reaction. I saw him again just as I was getting in the car. Darkness of winter nights surrounding us in that emptying parking lot. I wonder what he was thinking...in any case, Steven, thank you so much.

I found the CD! It's called The Song of the Unicorn by Classical Kids.
Here's the youtube link. It's such a great story. And you can see where my love of unicorns and magic originates. I wish I still had all my books about this...

No comments:

Post a Comment